Monday, January 1, 2024


     As the end of 2023 neared I spent the day dealing with scraps on my craft table and finishing projects that I could.  I added the binding to finish my “Bursting Forth” quilt. I couldn't find suitable fabric in my stash and decided to purchase a half yard. The piecing was inspired by a free AccuQuilt pattern and used only dies 13 and 15 of the GO Angles companion set. It is similar to a kaleidoscope block.


I stitched the final pieces to finish a child's comfort quilt top for guild.


Saturday I finished piecing this comfort top for church quilt group. It started from an adopted bag with a couple of blocks and more pieces.


     As the new year begins and I'm making plans for my 2024 quilting projects, I looked back at 2023 to take stock of what I accomplished and didn't.

Here is how I did on my yearly goals:

1. finish UFOs

I started 2023 with a list 17 UFOs. I am disappointed that I only finished 3 of those 17. At least 5 other UFOs are now finished tops. Sadly or interestingly that is far from all that I did. Often new projects stole my interest away from the UFOs. I believe my UFO list is helpful but not my priority.

I started and finished 6 new quilt projects for myself and family and pieced 3 new tops. The last few days of 2023 I knew I didn't have time to finish a project; however, I could at least make progress and finish a UFO top.   Sometime in the past 2 years I started making a few blocks as I was intrigued by this pattern called “City Girl” by Svanhild Schmidt-Hovstad from the Dec/Jan 2009 issue of Quilters Newsletter magazine. I finally made a plan in EQ for a quilt using the blocks. Last Wednesday I finished piecing the top I've named “Pinwheel Flowers” and I have the backing and binding ready. 


There are currently 9 quilt tops waiting for quilting.

2. decrease stash fabric

Year End Stash Report for 2023

         this past week- Used: 3.16 yds Added: 0.5 yds
        So far this year- Used: 109.51 yds Added: 50.5 yds
Net decrease 59.01 yds

I am pleased with the decrease in my stash; however, it did not decrease as much as in 2022.

3. control and use scrap fabric

I occasionally worked on this goal during the year; however, I do not have a way to measure the result. There remain plenty of scraps in my stash with only part under control in my scrap user system.

     For church I finished 13 comfort quilts and pieced 8 additional tops that await quilting.

      After taking note of all my projects in progress, my next step is to rewrite my UFO list to begin 2024 and look forward to all the quilt/sewing projects I will tackle in the new year.  I have a lot of tops for myself and for church waiting to be quilted.

I hope your new year is off to a fabulous beginning.

Have a great week and enjoy some time for quilting.




1 comment:

  1. Those are some lovely donation quilts. You've reminded me I really should do my own 2023 summary blog post.

    ReplyDelete