Saturday, March 31, 2018

Finishes for March

   I finished quilting the Broken Herringbone quilt and am counting it as finished even though the binding still needs to be sewn on. 

I used the quilt to practice a variety of quilting motifs; some from Angela Walters FMQ Challenge Along. 

   I quilted this dot quilt for a friend.  She will add the binding.

   My 10 year old granddaughter practiced her FMQ with the Bernina stitch regulator and used part of her practice to make a couple of mug rugs.  She machine sewed on the binding.

  I use some time to make a few mug rugs that will be gifted. Instead of binding, I finished them pillowcase style.

Hope you have a Happy Easter whether or not you have any time for sewing or quilting.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

A Baby Quilt Finish

      Not much sewing has happened here during the past week.  I was asked to take care of a sick granddaughter since she could not go with the rest of the family. Before I left, I did finish this baby quilt for a nephew’s new baby girl. 

 I fussy cut the alphabet blocks from fabric I had.  Almost could not get all the letters because when I would cut one out, the closer letters could not be used. I had to find another place on the fabric with those letters. I actually copied 2 letters onto fabric sheets with my printer.  I used needled polyester batting and minimal quilting with soft and comfy fabric on the back.  I am happy with the end result.
   With scraps of soft and comfy fabric I made a few taggies also for baby gifts. (Soft and comfy on one side and quilting cotton on the other.) 

I like the contrasting elephant ear better.

   I have several quilts sandwiched and waiting quilting.  I have struggled with how to quilt them.  I finally started quilting the Broken Herringbone quilt with a couple rows of wavy, wavy design from Angela Walters.  It creates a nice texture, but I will use several different designs on other parts of the quilt. 

Hope you enjoy time sewing or quilting.

Friday, March 9, 2018

Broken Herringbone Top with Partial Seams

       I have way too many projects in progress; however, somehow a broken herringbonetutorial popped up on YouTube.  It intrigued me.  I have done partial seams before but nothing like this.  I thought it would be a simple challenge.  I searched for more info and found that Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s new book is based on this partial seam technique.   
    I used 3 ½” by 9 ½” bars.  Here all 4 columns are joined and triangles added to finish off the top. 

Then I trimmed and added a 3 ½” border.   

    I’m glad I took on the challenge to make a Broken Herringbone quilt; however, it is not a design technique I will be doing again soon.
      I added a border to the Love Multiplied top. I like it much better, though less modern.  It joined the pile waiting to be sandwiched.

      I also made a quick strippy baby quilt.  
 I put a “minky-like” soft fabric on the back instead of quilting cotton because my granddaughter loved hers so much. 
A friend is expecting 2 grandsons in the next few months.  Two nephews’ wives are expecting girls this month so I still have more I want to make.

Enjoy some time sewing or quilting.

I'm linking up with Whoop Whoop Fridays to share what I've accomplished.  Check out what others have done.