Monday, May 2, 2022

Finally Back to Sewing Time

    Wow! Time sure flew by and I was left behind. The past 2 weeks I have not accomplished much of anything quilting to write about. It is the time of year where I try to work in my vegetable and flower garden early before it gets too warm and then hope to sew/quilt after lunch. I am enjoying many lovely bearded iris blooming (at least 10 kinds) in my yard. Here is one sample. 

I have way too many. That just means I get to share more. Last weekend I brought home and set out 2 new perennials from my sister. Friday I gave away the last of the tomato plants that I did not want to set out and most vegetables planted are growing nicely.

Progress on my goals for this year continue:

1.  finish UFOs

The border of the made-fabric hexagon quilt has been added so the top is done. I think it took so long because I was not using a pattern.  The piecing was mostly improv inspired by ideas from Victoria Findlay Wolfe's book 15 Minutes to Play.  The border is brighter than I expected; however, I am happy to move this 2014 UFO on to the next stage. It is almost too large to fit on my kitchen floor.

Here it is on a full size bed.

 

2.  decrease stash fabric

    The only stash fabric used was to add a pieced border for a comfort quilt.

    Stash fabric used or added:
    this past week-  Used: 1.25 yds  Added: 0 yds
    So far this year- Used: 51.25 yds Added: 10.5 yd3
3. control and use scrap fabric

    I pulled down a bin of 4 1/2” squares and found 5 complete split 9 patch blocks with 15 more sets of HSTs made. I spent an afternoon preparing block sets to finish a lap quilt. I only had to make 3 HST sets and pull light and dark squares from the precut units.

4.  make charity/comfort quilts
I added a 3” finished border to my Jelly Bean lap quilt of 16 blocks ( instead of 30 from a block a day with Pat Sloan) so it will finish at 54 by 66”.
 
It was sandwiched when my church quilt group met last Wednesday.  I also brought home a sandwiched top to quilt that was pieced by another member.  There was a little time left to add the semicircles to the fans of another project.  

 I know the garden will need some time; however, I hope for time to make more quilting progress.  

I'm linking up with Alycia's Finished (or Not) Friday.

Stay safe and healthy while enjoying some time sewing and quilting.


2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I LOVE that scrapping improv bed quilt ! It is fabulous !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!! I LOVE THAT 15 minutes of play one!!! IT SCREAMS happy to me!!!
    and your jellly beans - I like that block - your colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete