Monday, October 4, 2021

Weekly Goals

 
     The weather prediction for this week is a good chance of rain most days so there should be plenty of time to sew and quilt. Of course, there is also work I would like to do in flower beds and garden to get ready for winter; however, if it is wet that will have to wait.

How I did last week:
1. Decide on border for Bats and Boos quilt. Done.
I plan to make a zigzag border using 2 rows of 3” HSTs similar to Pat Sloan's border and should finish 40" square.   Here is a mock up in EQ.

 


The fabric I hoped to use may go on the back.
2. Make progress on a comfort quilt top. Done.
I worked on blocks for 2 projects.
3. Enjoy time with granddaughters. Done.
GD Lily and I enjoyed a few afternoons playing with 18” dolls. I supervised GD Mattie baking a small batch of “Stickies” using my grandmother's recipe for a cinnamon roll type biscuit. The recipe is below if you want to give them a try. Most of the time I use self-rising flour instead so I don't need to add the baking powder, soda and salt.

 

          Stickies
First make a batch of biscuit dough:
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
about 3/4 cup buttermilk
Blend ingredients and roll thin (about 1/8”). Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar all over.
Then sprinkle cinnamon. Cover with about 1/4 lb butter (melt or use small pinches).
Roll into log. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees until light brown – about 15 minutes.
      For  a sweet addition mix powdered sugar with a little milk and drizzle on top.
      I remember watching my grandmother make these and my GDs frequently request that we make them.

Stash fabric used or added the past week- Used: 0 yds Added: 0 yds.
                         So far this year- Used: 95 yds Added: 25 yds

Goals for the week of October 4th :
1. Finish border for Bats and Boos quilt.
2. Make progress on a comfort quilt.
3. Start making Hermione bag for GD.
      I am on a search for the right fabrics and notions. I may have to learn how to make a tassel and do some beading.

I wish I knew why blogger changes the font color from black to gray and back.  

Stay safe and healthy while enjoying some time sewing and quilting.


1 comment:

  1. Fun finish on Bats and Boos. Thanks for the Stickies recipe, I thought you did the font color on purpose! I rather like it! 😊

    ReplyDelete