Monday, November 8, 2021

Green Tomatoes and Weekly Goals

      Last week it really felt good to get so much done in the yard on warm days and then in my sewing room when it turned cool. Since night temperatures were getting close to frost, I decided to pick most of the vegetables that could be hurt. I picked a gallon of bell and banana peppers, a gallon of green tomatoes and ½ gallon of green cherry tomatoes. I saw a recipe for green tomato bread on Jo's Country Junction blog and thought this would be perfect to try.

I followed Jo's idea of substituting applesauce for half the oil. I also used only 1 ½ cups of sugar and added raisins. I used my food processor to chop the cherry tomatoes and drained the water.

Instead of bread pans, I was able to make 18 muffins which only took about half the time to cook. Very tasty. Much like zucchini bread. I have another 2 cups of chopped green tomatoes ready for another batch and more green tomatoes to use for something else.

How I did last week:
1. Work in bearded iris beds. Done We had a couple of beautiful days before cool days. I still have more I want to do and we are supposed to have beautiful 70 degrees days this week.
2. Quilt a comfort quilt. Done I finished quilting one, trimmed it and passed it on for binding.
3. Add border to QOV. Done The top is complete and waiting for quilting.
I even completed a couple of projects not on my to-do list. I found some already prepared appliques and added them to a couple of kitchen towels. I also made a set of 4 placemats as a birthday gift, but I don't want to show them now in case she looks at my blog. She knew I was making them, but at least how they look will be a surprise.

My Goals for week of Nov. 8:
1. Work in the yard: rake pine straw and reset some bearded iris.
2. Quilt a comfort quilt.
3. Finish placemats for a housewarming gift.

    A nephew recently purchased a house. The interior is very neutral so I hope he will enjoy a set of placemats for a little color. I chose 2 1/2” strips of blues and greens and stared sewing strip sets. 

Stash fabric used or added the past week- Used: 4.25 yds Added: 0 yds
                    So far this year- Used: 102.75 yds Added: 27.5 yds

Stay safe and healthy while enjoying some time sewing and quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment