Thursday, July 23, 2020

Excited for a UFO Finish


     If you have visited my blog before, you may know about my blue and white day bee mystery UFO. The quilt top was pieced by September of 2012. I wanted to improve my free-motion quilting skill before quilting it. This year I decided my FMQ was as good as it was going to be. I quilted the center. You can see details of that quilting here.   Then the quilt sandwich sat while I decided how I wanted to quilt around the applique in the border.  This week I finally quilted the last part. I used “Iced Blue” Signature quilting thread.  The background fabric is a very pale blue mottled print. 

I must say I stretched my skill for quilting the motif Patsy Thompson calls “plumify it” and the plum based “revolving swirl design” from her Bluprint class “Ultimate Free-motion Feathers”. Here are some close-ups.  


I am not totally happy with my quilting but overall am pleased. I'm very happy to say it is finished and off my UFO list.

     I have been sewing a lot during this pandemic; however, I am not making much progress with my UFOs. I have started more new projects than I have finished from my UFO list. My finished tops are collecting, but at least they are organized.


     A friend shared pears so I made 28 cups of pear honey.
I still have plenty of pears in the fridge to use for something else.
The vegetable garden is struggling with the heat and so are we.

With Covid-19 cases on the rise around the country, please stay safe and healthy while enjoying some sewing or quilting in a cool space.

I'm linking up with Whoop, Whoop Friday and Finished (or Not) Friday.  Check them out for inspiration.  


10 comments:

  1. Yay! for finishing a UFO. Your quilting is beautiful. I especially like the flowers and leaves in the borders. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilting. Don’t be so hard on yourselves. We are our worst critic!

    You are doing so good with your quilting and should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the quilting looks wonderful! Learn from Patsy, but don't compare to her. In a life time only a rare person could match her skill. I think you did a fabulous job on the quilting. And the quilt is a wonderful blue and white beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the quilting looks great, too. I love the flower with the plume above it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it’s beautiful! Good luck on getting some more of your UFOS to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your quilting is AMAZING!!! it looks just beautiful on this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm inspired by your quilting! Congrats on a finish.

    Pear honey...yummmm. I made some several years ago when we had a pear tree. The grandkids loved it.


    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your quilting and love the idea for storing your tops. Exactly what I'm going to do when I can move into my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty Quilt. Beautiful finish. Your quilting looks great to me. I always look at fmq as a never ending learning process :)

    ReplyDelete