Friday, November 11, 2022

Remember Our Veterans

    The weather here is not cooperating for a Veterans Day parade; however, they are remembered and appreciated. I love Alycia's latest Quilt of Valor mystery, “Long May She Wave” and look forward to making time to finish one to share with a veteran.

   On other projects I have a few small finishes and progress on a couple of larger ones. I have spent most of my craft time piecing; however, one day I will make time for the quilting. I finished several fall themed mug rugs and put them in the mail with Thanksgiving cards. Here are the most recent 2 embellished with silk leaves.

    Wednesday at church quilt group I put all my kaleidoscope blocks on the design wall and have them pinned by rows ready to sew into a top.

    Next I made progress on the “Celtic Fantasy” quilt. It is quite the process designed by Ricky Timms. Some weeks ago I made the 6 large freezer paper templates with are repeated in each quadrant and I have designed the templates for the Celtic appliques. The process goes like this. 1- iron the freezer paper template to the right side of the fabric, rough trim.

2- stay-stitch close to the edge and mark registration lines in the seam allowance before a neater trim.

All except the center template are made 4 times. Paying attention to the grainline uses a lot of fabric for the odd shaped pieces.

Here are the first 2 fabrics on the design wall. It doesn't look like much yet because the appliques will be the focus.

I have several quilts with more regular curve piecing.  I hope I will not struggle too much with these irregular curves.  That is why it is important to do the stay-stitching and registration marks. 

Thank you to all our veterans.

I'm linking up with Alycia's Finished (or Not) Friday.

Stay safe and healthy while enjoying some time sewing and quilting.


1 comment: