Monday, January 11, 2021

Goals for the Week

      My 2021 got off to a terrific start for quilting. To help me be more accountable and stay on track to finish UFOs and other projects, on Mondays I plan to lay out goals for the week, 1st by choosing a project from my list to work on, 2nd by pulling a pallet of fabric scraps to piece made-fabric sometimes as leader/ender, and 3rd by working on a selection of orphan blocks.

How I did the past week--

1) Start quilting blue “Circle Back”.

Quilted and bound. The finished quilt was posted Friday along with a pieced top from a stack of sample blocks dating back to 2015. Saturday I finished piecing a giant Swoon comfort quilt top which adds two more to my quilt tops waiting for quilting.

2) Sort a box of scraps by color and size to create red made-fabric, some of which can be used for February Valentine projects.

Not a lot of red in this box but I pieced about 12” square of made-fabric. All these sorted stacks were put in color family containers but I did not make it to the bottom of the box.

3) Piece together a couple of maple leaf blocks from leftover pieces.

Seven additional leaf blocks got pieced. These are complicated blocks with 18 pieces and 3 Y seams in each block so satisfactory progress. More to do.

4) Record stash fabric used or added.

Used: 9.85yds

Added: 2 yds   I needed dark blue for a border and had nothing in my stash to use.

5) Clean out a drawer in the house. Recycle or re-home items that I will not use this year.

One drawer emptied and organized. It is much better; however, there is more that needs to find a new home. I wonder how many drawers I have in the house and if I tackle one each week, will I get to them all in a year.

Goals for the week of January 11th

1) Custom FMQ “Easy Breezy” On-Point quilt and choose or piece backing for a waiting pieced top.

2) Finish sorting last week's box of scraps and decide how to use the odd and unusual fabric pieces.

There are a few quilters who say if the fabric is ugly, it has just not been cut small enough. Some of the fabrics need to be cut into small pieces. I normally don't cut units smaller than 2 1/2” but do use strings and smaller scraps for crumb blocks.

3) Piece together a few maple leaf blocks from leftover pieces.

Using the leftover cut units, these may not be the most beautiful leaf blocks; however, I hope once all together, they will create something lovely.

4) Record stash fabric used or added.

5) Clean out another drawer in the house. Recycle or re-home items that I will not use this year.


Are you working to keep your resolutions or have you set goals for yourself?

Hope you stay safe and healthy so you can enjoy some time sewing or quilting.





1 comment:

  1. I like it! that you post your goals and if you accomplished them - that must feel good! and I like those leaves - they are beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete