Friday, December 11, 2020

Holiday Finishes

      This week I stayed busy finishing up a Christmas gift. My younger GD informed me in October that she had outgrown her fleece blanket. The top was cotton and the back was fleece. She asked me to make her a longer one. I remembered Bernina's We All Sew unicorn pattern and thought it would be perfect for her. I already had a large piece of plush fleece. I searched my stash for a cotton fabric as a top. The We All Sew directions are for reverse applique. I got the pattern and fabric ready and then decided I wanted to do turned edge applique instead. I prepared a double layer template of freezer paper which I ironed to the back of the fabric. Then I trimmed leaving about ½ inch. I wet the allowance with starch, turned the edge over the freezer paper and ironed it dry. Here is the back side with the prepared edge. 


Then you can pull out the freezer paper and the edges stayed turned. I positioned the unicorn on the cotton whole cloth quilt top and appliqued it down with a machine blanket stitch. Next I layered the fleece and cotton, stitched around leaving an opening for turning, turned right side out and closed the opening. Last I pen basted the layers and free-motion quilted. I echoed the unicorn and stitched a large meander over the rest. It was not the easiest to quilt. About like working with high loft polyester batting. I am glad it is finished and I think GD Lily will love it.



The freezer paper templates could be used again so I have not thrown them away yet.
     My granddaughters have been using fabric markers each year to decorate a square. Two years ago I started creating placemats with their squares. This week I finished one more for each granddaughter.



     I'm about ready for Christmas as I only want to get one more gift so I took time to put the binding on the strings quilt. I love how easy it was to make and plan to make more similarly. I have an overflowing string bin. There are several similar patterns but I did not use one. I simply sewed string units and trimmed them to 8 1/2” by 12 1/2”. ( Various size rectangles can work.) Then sewed 2 1/2” strips to the 2 long sides which created a 12 1/2” (12” finished) block.


      It was a beautiful afternoon here so I took time to use my riding lawnmower to get up leaves from my front yard so it looks really neat. Too bad I am not expecting company. I like how the mower chops the leaves at the same time and they are now in my compost piles.

I'm linking up with Alycia for Finished or Not Friday.
Stay safe and healthy to enjoy this holiday season.


2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea to have the kids make those fabric drawings and then use them in place mats! I love it! Do you Scotch Guard the placemats or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the unicorn quilt - heck ya she will LOVE it!! and the placemats - what a great idea. Your string quilt is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete