Friday, September 6, 2019

Dye Using the Microwave


     I’m still clearing some unfinished projects and finding all kinds.  At the NC Quilt Symposium in the summer of 2010, I took Velda Newman’s class on “Texture and Form”. (Don’t think she teaches anymore.)  Yesterday I found the incomplete projects from the class.  I find it VERY difficult to throw the pieces away. I expect it is the way I was brought up by parents who grew up during The Great Depression. Instead, I want to do something with them. At least I can make a placemat, table topper or wall-hanging.
     I refreshed my memory on how to dye with Rit Dye in the microwave.  You can find the instructions here. 

 Here are my pieces before dye: 

melon shape –texture was created by stitching with a layer of batting on the back and cheese cloth on top of the main fabric.


Basket shape- texture was created by stitching contour lines with a layer of batting on the back of the main fabric. 

Here they are after the dye process: 
 I can image the melon with a vine and leaves. 

 I plan to add some highlights and shading with fabric markers or paint.   Velda did multiple empty baskets but I think mine needs some flowers. 
     
What do you do with incomplete projects and orphan blocks?
Hope you enjoy time sewing or quilting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment