Friday, August 30, 2019

Work on Several Small Projects


    This has been another week of piecing on several smaller projects.  It is always a struggle to control my scraps and UFOs. I pulled one big box of scraps and spent a couple of days ironing, sorting and trimming.  This photo shows some of my progress.  I enjoy working with scraps to create “made-fabric”, and it is goes much faster when the scraps are prepared ahead of time.

     I found a handful of Clemson scraps and made 2 mug rugs for a friend who is a fan.

    Wednesday was quilt day at church.  We talked about finding a quick pattern so we could quickly increase our stash of quilts. I pulled Leah Day’s free pattern for “Twin Rainbow Stars
and made a few changes.  I increased the size of the blocks ( so it is no longer fat quarter friendly), added a top and bottom row of background fabric to make the quilt a rectangle and added a simple pieced border of rectangles for a lap quilt that finishes at 46” by 56”.  

It took me less than 6 hours to cut and piece one top plus the blocks are already pieced for the second top.
That was a fast and easy lap quilt top. On my tutorial page I will share my directions.

    I have 3 larger quilt tops waiting with their backing to be sandwiched.  I hope to get a couple done today so I can get some quilting done this Labor Day weekend. 
     
Hope you enjoy time sewing or quilting. 

3 comments:

  1. Your big block quilt looks wonderful—and a perfect lap quilt size. When you cut your scraps for made fabric, do you cut rectangles? And is your made fabric usually one color or scrappy? Just wondering as I am trying to tame my scraps and need new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt top!! I love star quilts AND rainbow quilts. Combine the two and you've got a sure fire winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete