Friday, August 16, 2019

A Small Finish and Other Progress


     This has been a week of work on numerous smaller projects. I finished this top last year and finally got it quilted and bond.  The piecing was inspired by a quilt by Wanda of ExuberantColor blog.   
          
I pulled out all my bright strings and sorted them by length.  Then I sewed strip sets from 5 ½”, 10 ½” or 20 ½” wide.  Next I cut whatever squares or rectangles I could.  I love the design and would like to piece more similar to it.  I don’t have a special child waiting for it so I can hold on to it and enjoy it for now.
    I have not tackled another big UFO but am trying to use up other small odds and ends.  I pulled some orphan blocks from church, appliqued some horses, pieced some simple 4 patches and Mary Ann volunteered to piece this top. 

   I pieced the border on my strips and curves top so it is waiting for quilting.


      One morning I woke early and could not get back to sleep so started sorting some red, white and blue UFOs. This is the mess that was stuffed into 2 bags.

 After sorting, some cutting and piecing, I have 20 scrappy blocks for a quilt.  I pieced another set of 20 simple nine patch blocks into this top.

 I plan a wide pieced border so they will both be a good size for a Quilt of Valor.  
     I uncovered 2 RWB blocks plus extra units that were class samples that finish at the odd size of 13 ½” plus another 5 RWB crumb pieced hexagon blocks.  Someday I will have to piece more or figure out how those can become quilt tops. That just left a small container of RWB scraps. Quite the improvement.
    While the RWB scraps were out, I cut and pieced these 4 blocks for a guild QOV project.

     
Hope you are staying cool if you are in the hot south and enjoy time sewing or quilting.

5 comments:

  1. Quite an assortment of projects! Really like the wonky strips quilt....always fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your strips and curves flimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some fun scrap quilts going on in your studio! Looks like you've found a good use of your strips in that first photo. I love the various finished sizes of your blocks in that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome projects in the works. LOVE your Strips and Curves quilt!! Mine never progressed beyond a stack of strips. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lot going on!! LOVE that string quilt - what a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete