Thursday, September 26, 2019

Projects for the Week


   
   Monday our craft group met to learn and make a few quilted postcards.  I shared my process and examples I received years past in a swap.  The 4 by 6” face of the postcard can be constructed many ways.  You can piece or applique.  You can also use a theme fabric whole cloth, quilt or thread paint, plus embellish with flat items.
Steps:
  • Place the top fabric on a layer of batting and quilt.
  • Fuse to top side of Timtex or heavy stabilizer.
  • Fuse muslin to the back side.
  • Retrim to 4 by 6”
  • Zigzag or satin stitch around the edges or stitch ribbon folded over the edges as binding.
  • Use permanent marking pen to divide back and label as postcard. 
Here are some I recently made.
   







 At church quilt group Wednesday we got so much done.  Our member who passed suddenly last week had 2 quilts in progress.  She had almost finished the quilting on this one so I added a little more and sewed on the binding.  We plan to give it to her family especially because her grandson visited out group during the summer to watch her sewing it together.  I hope it will hold special memories for him. 


She had a jelly roll top pieced.  A member sewed on the border and started quilting it.  Sorry I did not take a photo.
     I pulled backing and pieced 2 backs.  Then we sandwiched 2 other lap quilts which I brought home to quilt so I have plenty to do.  I have not worked recently on quilting my Strips and Curve quilt. I hope to get some done today because I will not have time the rest of the weekend.

Hope you make time to enjoy some sewing and quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment