Friday, June 5, 2020

Season of Graduations


     Because of Covid-19 precautions this year high school and college graduation celebrations are very different from most other years. This Sunday will be Youth Sunday and recognition for HS graduates at my church with a drive by visit after worship. I wanted to help recognize their accomplishments and recruited a member of my church quilt group to make each a small zippered bag.

     You may have seen one of the many tutorials on YouTube for turning a placemat into a small zippered bag. My church has made several using placemats then transitioned to using our own quilted fabric. For this group of bags I selected sets of fabrics from my stash so each bag would be different. I used a fat quarter for backing and pieced strips to fit. 
 After I quilted the panels, I trimmed and serged the edges before constructing the bags.
 

I FMQ meandered on most but used some areas to practice a few special motifs.

Here are my 3 finished bags.



Congratulations to all graduates!

I'm linking up with WhoopWhoop Friday. Check out what others are working on.

Stay safe and healthy while doing something you enjoy like sewing or quilting.


5 comments:

  1. How great! Cool bags that the grads can use. Good idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bags! And very useful to those going on to college or jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEW sweet of you to make zipper bags for the grads!! Those will be quite useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun bags for grads. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the zipper bags. Such a great idea for a gift. I teach at a university and our graduations in July have been cancelled. We are hoping to hold something later in November depending on how the situation is.

    ReplyDelete