Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Small UFO Finish


     I did not post last week because I have been working in the yard so much, not much quilting has been accomplished. Saturday I finished piecing 48 “Hope” blocks from GE Designs 2nd Quarantine Quilt Along, May 3rd. Here is a sampling on my small design wall.  
 

I still need to lay them all out on the "design floor" and play with placement but I do not need to rush to finish this one.
Sunday I enjoyed a relaxing Mothers Day.
     Monday I finished the quilting on the Whig Rose wall-hanging. After a couple of false starts, I was excited how the “plumify” motif went 

and the “swirl with plumes” I quilted in each corner. 

 Both were FM motifs I learned from watching Patsy Thompson's “Ultimate Free-motion Feathers” class on Bluprint. I practiced a few times on paper before I was brave enough to try on the quilt. Because the background fabric was beige, I thought light brown thread would look good for the quilting. After doing a small area, I decided that it was too dark so I unsewed.

I switched to cream thread. After quilting a small area, I noticed the tension was terrible so that had to come out.

I rethreaded and was finally successful. I love it! 
* I updated the photo to show the quilting texture better. 


       With all the yard work and handwork recently, arthritis in my right hand has flared up so it needs a little rest. Today I machine sewed binding on a lap quilt and pieced backings for 2 more. My stack of finished tops waiting for quilting is growing.

Stay safe and healthy while doing something you enjoy (maybe sewing or quilting) or to help others.

1 comment:

  1. Your Hope quilt is so colorful, with those rainbow strips! Amazing job with the FMQ!

    ReplyDelete