Friday, January 31, 2020

Sorting Scraps – Discovered Orphans


     I pulled out a couple of 2.5 gallon bags stuffed with batik scraps 
and started sorting by color. In the pile I found a few completed blocks plus more parts. I have 3 birds and 3 fish blocks in the “piece no curves” technique of Annette Ornelas of Southwinds Designs. You fold a square into a triangle then fold back the bias to create a curve which you top-stitch down. On these blocks the curve has not been stitched down. That can be done with the quilting. I have no idea what I will do with these blocks. They may find a new home. 

    In the bags I also found a stack of units left over from a large lap quilt about 10 years ago. I was able to cut more rectangles, squares and piece some small squares enough for a 48 by 60” lap quilt. That will be good for a church sew day. 

  
    In some regular cotton stash I found one butterfly block and parts so I pieced and now have 2 butterfly blocks that need a plan for use. Antennae need embroidery or marking.
I pulled out some sewn strip sets, sewed more and have at least the center of a small quilt.  It could be finished for a baby; however, I am thinking of adding some borders for a larger child's quilt. 

There are still lots of scraps left to deal with another time. 

     I supervised my 7 year old GD while she embroidered and sewed a pillowcase for her sister's birthday. We both were learning on the machine embroidery.


I am happy ( “Whoop Whoop”) with progress made with the scraps this week and found blocks.
Have a great week and enjoy some time sewing and quilting.
Linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday.



1 comment:

  1. Some great finds there, and nice progress moving them forward! I love the butterfly blocks. And the strings. But your GD stole the show/blog! Love her happy face!

    ReplyDelete