Friday, October 23, 2020

Week of Virtual School

     This has been a week of following my 3rd grade granddaughter with her virtual school. The 7th grader spends almost five hours (5 – 45 min. sessions) in Zoom classroom in her bedroom so I didn't see her much. As a retired elementary teacher, it is difficult to imagine how teachers, students and families are dealing with virtual school these days. I know it is hard on them all.

It is good they had a flex day Wednesday for a break and catch-up day so I could enjoy my Zoom meeting with quilt friends and chat for a few minutes. We all miss our social gatherings and have to make do. Thursday was Grandparents Day for 3rd grade and I got to virtually visit via the Zoom morning class meeting.

     It has been several years since I did much counted cross-stitch. I could work on some quietly while monitoring the 3rd grade school work. I finished this little tag. 


In the evening I sewed on a some pocket prayer squares. If you have not heard of them, you can check out this YouTube video from Shabby Fabrics and get their free pattern. 


It was easy to order the little crosses online. My group decided to make our prayer squares finish at 3” instead of 2”. That is still small enough to fit in a pocket. We also printed the prayer on the backing fabric instead of printing and attaching a paper. 

     Halloween will also be different this year and needs more precautions. Some towns may not allow trick or treating. The granddaughters decided they want the dress their dog Dosi like a s'more. I made a simple white dog coat. They just need to add the chocolate fabric and cardboard cracker. This photo was the inspiration. 


I pulled out my small Halloween table quilt and that is it for decorating. 


In my son's garden the Swamp Sunflowers are making a great show. Most are at about 10 to 12 feet tall and some taller which is much taller than mine.


Hope you stay healthy and enjoy some sewing or quilting.

I'm linking up with Alycia's Finished or Not Friday



3 comments:

  1. I like those pocket prayers. When my mom was in hospice there was a little bowl of stuffed hearts with a little prayer attached for family of those in hospice. I still have it and it reminds me of mom so I can appreciate those pocket prayers.

    My grandkids opted for totally online school. Here it is through a program called Edgenuity. They all love the online format. Two are high school and one is elementary. One of the high school students was previously having learning problems in school. With online learning she is getting As and Bs and finally has figured out algebra which makes her so happy. I think there was too much drama for her at school that distracted her.

    I got a good laugh at the S'more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the pocket prayer squares. What would we do without Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh you have a lot of great projects this week. The prayer squares are really neat - but! that dog costume is probably the best!

    ReplyDelete