Friday, August 7, 2020

String Quilt Finish and More

      The first part of the week was spent with GDs. The youngest sewed a kit and made a unicorn pillow. She was excited to make it. She needed help sewing the tail and other parts on to the body with 4 layers but she did a great job.

     The last half of the week I got busy sewing. I cut strips from the church group holiday fabric stash and made 4 holiday placemats using the Courthouse steps free pattern from Jordan Fabrics. You can also watch the tutorial on YouTube. ( I would skip the first few minutes where Matt picks out fabric.) I plan to make a few more. The quilting is stitch in the ditch.  Easy, no binding since turned pillowcase style.  The goal is to have enough to be delivered with Meals on Wheels in December.

     Next I quilted the string half log cabin quilt.

I quilted a loopy meander. 

 I thought about using a scrappy binding but found a long binding piece of the green stripe. I had just enough of the fabric to add some strips to get all the way.

Hope you are staying safe and healthy while enjoying some sewing or quilting in a cool space.

I'm linking up with Whoop, Whoop Friday.  Check out the projects and get inspired.  

8 comments:

  1. Too cute and she is very proud of her project! Great way to spend time together too. I love the placemats and always use that pillowcase method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you can interest a young person to quilt. All nicely finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute junior sewing and LOVE your String finish, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great scrappy string quilt! The striped binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable GD! I was about her age when I learned to sew. Started making clothes for my dolls. She's way cute. And I do love the log cabin quilt and its bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need more unicorns! Great job by your granddaughter. Your quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool it is to quilt with your Granddaughter. I’ve made cards rubber stamped cards with my youngest granddaughter. But the two older girls aren’t interested in visiting. They have done some quilting with their mom who started quilting in high school. But they don’t have much follow through. I like the idea of your place mats for Meals on Wheels. We’ve been having hot humid days for months, or so it seems. I’m ready for the temps to drop 10 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh she looks so happy and isn't that the best reward for a quilter/grandma? Bright and beautiful log cabin quilt. A light meander is the perfect quilting for a soft snuggly finish.

    ReplyDelete