Saturday, November 24, 2018

A Modern Quilt Finish and More Progress


      I enjoyed a great Thanksgiving Day with siblings and some nieces and nephews.  I hope you enjoyed time with family or friends.
      Friday after I returned home, I sewed the binding on my modern quilt from Score 1 of The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters.  I wanted to use a new modern quilting technique so I quilted it with a continuous spiral using the walking foot. I’m glad I did but don’t know that I will use that technique again. 

      Today I pulled out another UFO from my focus list I made last January.  These are blocks from last year’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  My design wall is not large enough so I laid out blocks on the floor. I moved 2 after this photo but they are now pinned in row stacks and ready to be sewn together. 


      Last week I tackled another UFO from my list and have 60 blocks sewn for the Four Patch Swirl. It is a stack'n whack technique.  It is interesting how different the block can turn out depending on which corner is toward the center.  Here are some examples.  


I have not decided on sashing or alternate blocks so these are waiting for inspiration.

      With the holidays coming and the end of year fast approaching, I looked back at my focus projects for 2018.  Seven of the 12 have happily been completed and I have made progress on 2 more at least one of which may be finished before the year’s end.  Having the focus list has been a great help.
  
UFO Focus List for 2018

Finished
1.     Score 1 started 2015
2.     Rainbow Wonky Star quilt - started 2017
3.     Scrappy anvil quilt started about 2014
4.     Scrap Dance Waltz   -started 2017
5.     Cat child’s quilt - started 2013
6.     Graduation gift –due in May
7.     red, white and blue star improv – started 2012
In Progress
8.     Rainbow star and brick quilt - started 2017
9.     Four Patch Swirl ( stack ‘n whack blocks) - started 2007
Still Waiting
10.  Gypsy Wife type quilt from orphan blocks – started 2015
11.  Quilt Day Bee Mystery started 2012
12.  Scrappy anvils with string centers- started 2014

 Enjoy some time sewing or quilting.  I'm linking up with Scrap Happy Saturday.  
  

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts are always difficult for me to arrange without making it look like a color wheel. Yours blend beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on your Score 1 quilt. Love, love, LOVE what you've got going on the floor with that RSC quilt!! I had to laugh at your 4-Patch Posy UFO, as I've got one of those hidden in the depths of the project pile. Good luck with figuring out how to finish yours! Maybe mine will resurface, one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great improv quilt, and I love your rainbow blocks. The combination of star blocks and the other blocks look fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on getting those UFOs crossed off the list before the new year begins. Lovely effect on the modern quilting. It is fun to try new techniques even if they don't turn into immediate favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your Scrappy Rainbow Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scrappy rainbow quilt with the occasional white stars is very nice! The other ones you are working on or completed are too - but I came by from the RSC. : ) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete