Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Working on More Small Projects


     During recent rainy days and threatening hurricane/tropical storm, I stayed busy working on many small projects.  Thankfully my area missed most of the storm. 
     I got another comfort quilt top pieced.  

     Then I  pulled Thanksgiving fabric and pieced 6 mug rug tops. Instead of finishing with binding, I finished them all pillowcase style.  I layered batting, backing right side up, then top right side down and sewed around the edge leaving an opening for turning.  I trimmed the excess batting and corners, turned inside out, pressed and hand sewed the opening closed. Last will be the quilting which is not finished on these.  


Next I pulled out Halloween fabric scraps and pieced 5 mug rug tops. They also have been finished pillowcase style.


I fussy cut more printed Halloween fabric for 4 pot holders.  I used scraps of Insul-Bright and batting scraps to quilt the pot holders. I sewed the binding by machine.  


The following photos show some of the steps in my process.  After sewing binding onto the back, flip to the front and pin in place.  The loop portion gets top stitched first (even though in the photo it is not folded yet, then I turn the corner to finish top stitching the binding. 
After sewing almost all the way around, insert the tail of the binding and secure it. 



     It feels good to use scrap fabric and scraps of batting to create useful small gifts and I now have a stash of mug rugs and a few potholders.  I still have a large stash of batting scraps that I can zigzag together for such projects.

I have a Christmas table runner sandwiched in progress.  I want to practice a new FM motif of holly and berries before I start quilting on it. Hopefully soon I will sandwich one of my large quilt tops waiting to be quilted. 

 Hope you enjoy some time sewing or quilting.


No comments:

Post a Comment