Wednesday, October 19, 2016

What I’ve Been Working On

        I have made time for some sewing and quilting the past week.  I quilted 3 scrappy fall mug rugs.  They could also be used as potholders because I used 2 layers of cotton batting. They will be used for small gifts. 

       At a recent church quilt group sew day, I started scrappy trip blocks using 3 ½” strips so the blocks finish at 18”.  I like this design, however, it is not great to use fat quarters because you must have 21” strips when trimmed. Sometimes you cannot get 21” after trimming selvedge and straightening the edge.  Even though scrappy, I tried to keep the colors in the same order for each block.  Somehow I sewed one wrong.  At least the cream, red and blacks are in the same order. Can you spot my mistake?  Today I sewed on borders so the top is ready to sandwich for quilting.

     I talked several ladies in my church quilt group into making big house blocks.  The pattern was free from Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine.  For now you can still find the free pattern here.
We changed the size of the quilt and only put 6 together with sashing and a border.  It is a top ready to sandwich for quilting.

    I have plenty of other projects and some with December deadlines so I better get working on them.

Enjoy some time sewing and quilting!

1 comment:

  1. lol...happy mistakes I say in that bottom corner. I hope to try a bargello on gridded interfacing some time soon. Really love your small projects for gifts...just great.