Saturday, April 13, 2013

Making an Adult Bib


    For several years while my mother was in assisted living, she made and sold many adult bibs to other residents.  I recently had a request to make some.  I have on old one of hers to go by but that was not enough information.  I learned some helpful hints from my sister who had made some so I decided to write up the directions to help others in the future.

 We used a kitchen towel.  It is better if any design is one way. You also need about 1 ½” of Velcro and extra wide double fold bias tape which finishes about ½” wide.

About an 1 ½” down from the center top draw a 6” diameter circle.  ( I traced a Cool Whip lid) 
Stay stitch about 1/8” to ¼” outside the drawn circle. 
For the neck opening cut straight down the center top to the circle and then cut out the circle on the line. 
Sew bias tape to the wrong side of the towel around the cut edge.
Turn the bias tape to the front and top-stitch down.
Add Velcro to the neck opening.
Now you have an adult bib.  

6 comments:

  1. That looks pretty nice, I have been looking into how to make a few adult bibs. I never really knew what they where until recently, but they seem useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. Going to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how long did you make this bib, and is the towel thick enough for spills on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made mine the length of the towel which was about 23" after being washed.
      My mom and many others loved them for catching spills.

      Delete
  4. What if the person has a bigger neck, such as 17-17 1/2 inch neck, for a man. Would appreciate your input on this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a 6" diameter circle, the circumference would be about 18.75" and the hook and loop tape helps make the neck opening adjustable so there should not be any problem fitting an adult with a larger neck.

      Delete