Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jumping In

      Where to begin?  I want to share my sewing / quilting projects so I decided to blog.  Since this my first blog, I will be learning as I go.  I’ve been sewing since I was about 9 years old and made my first quilt blocks for my sister’s quilt about 45 years ago.  Quilting has really changed in the past 20 years with new tools.  Since I retired from teaching in 2003, I have been focused on quilting.  I’m a member of Greater Columbia Quilters and I teach a few quilting courses at Midlands Technical College – Harbison campus.  You can check out the quilting class schedule at http://www.mtctraining.com/programs.htm.

     The last week of November I visited Georgia and did a quilt project with Ms. Love’s second class and Mrs. Gardner’s third grade class at the Museum School of Avondale Estates.    The students used fabric markers on fabric to illustrate the plants and animals they were studying. For the third grade wall hanging I framed each child’s drawing with an irregular frame of greens and blues and then pieced them in rows.  For the second grade wall hanging I pieced an ocean background and appliquéd the students animal drawings on to the ocean. Here are the results.
 
  
     One of my granddaughter’s favorite games is I Spy with a small quilt I made for her.  I have made 5 using 3 different patterns for I Spy quilts.  I recently finished this one for a friend’s child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment