Monday, July 20, 2015

Making Progress on Quilting

      This morning I finished the free-motion quilting on the fans.  When planning a motif, I use a clear acrylic sheet and dry erase marker to try options and practice.
Quilting the first couple of fans I had an issue with fabric not stabilized well enough.  I had to be careful to position my hands to keep the fabric taught.

I enjoy using motifs that are free flowing and don’t require back tracking. 

     I plan to quilt feathers in the areas between fans and here is my practice. 

*Update*   The feathers are quilted and I'm pleased.  

The feathers are free-form except for the stem which I mark. 
I'm ready for a break and then I need to consider the border quilting.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Another UFO Tackled Plus Doll Items

      I enjoyed the weekend with family for the younger granddaughter’s birthday.  She was pleased with her purple dresses. 

     The older granddaughter had spent a week at art camp and learned to finger knit.  It reminded me of the Barbie knitting kit I have had for several years.  I use to enjoy making clothes for Barbie dolls and clones.  I promised my granddaughter that I would spend some time knitting for her dolls.  I pulled out the kit and made 2 dresses.

      Lily was very excited to receive a purple sleeping bag for her birthday.

A friend recently shared another doll pattern and I had scraps so I made 2 sleeping bags.     

      As I was about to finish the dogwood quilt, I pulled out another UFO to work on. My fan quilt started in a workshop with Charlotte Angotti a few years ago.  I just needed to add some borders.  I had some fabric that I wanted to use for a wide outer border.  When I counted the repeats and decided how much I needed, I did not have enough.  I had bought the fabric at JoAnn’s Fabrics.  I looked online and was surprised that I could find out how much of that particular fabric my local store had.  I went there and bought another piece.  When I cut the strips, I was surprised to discover the difference in the width of the fabric. It worked fine. 

The borders are on, the backing is pieced so next is sandwiching and quilting. 

   Granddaughter Lily will love this quilt because of all the purple. 

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Dogwood Addition

    I am still hand stitching the binding down on the back, but I thought I would add this update about the quilting.  I stitched flower centers with what is called "pebbling".  Here are a couple of close ups of flower centers.

Now back to stitching the last side. 

Monday, July 6, 2015

Very Close to Finished

I have finished all the quilting on the Dogwood quilt and I am glad.  All that it needs is binding and a label.  
This quilt was a UFO for a couple of years.  It started in a workshop with Annette Ornales.  Her technique creates the illusion of curved seams with the bias folded back and stitched down.  I adapted her "Carolina Dogwoods" pattern to be queen size and use the floral fabric that I love.  You can see her patterns at Southwind Designs.
Here is a close-up of the front background quilting.  I did meandering leaves and loops.

Here is a close-up of the back quilting.

For a break from quilting I pulled out a UFO that just needs borders.  I added a couple.  I will take a photo after the final border is added. 

I took a break from quilting to make a couple of purple dresses for my youngest granddaughter’s birthday.  Her favorite color is purple. 

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Quilting Frustration

      I took a break from yard work to get back to quilting on the dogwood blossom quilt.  This is the design I came up with for the blossoms. 

The blossoms are now quilted but today was filled with thread break frustration.  When I free-motion quilted the light color blossoms yesterday, I had no problem. 

Today I started working on the darker blossoms with a darker pink thread.  I did not have a large spool of that color so I was using a medium size spool.  For some blossoms the thread broke 2 times before I finished that blossom. I wondered whether the multiple layers of fabric for this technique was causing the problem. 

I changed the needle; I changed the feed of the thread.  Nothing helped.  I plan to use the lighter pink thread for background quilting and I sure hope it works well like it did the other day.  I have a lot of background quilting yet to do. 
If you don't remember what the quilt looks like, here it is the before quilting. 

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Sewing with Granddaughters

    I have not been quilting for the past week because I have been spending time with family and my granddaughters.  I worked with the 7 year old on some hand sewing. She first made herself a turtle bookpack charm.  
Then for Father's Day she made her dad a hamburger charm he can attach to his briefcase.

She enjoys many crafts and wants to make a quilt like grandma but we did not have time this visit.

Especially with the SC heat, I plan to spend time indoors sewing today.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Not Much Sewing

Progress quilting the dogwood quilt has been at a standstill.  All the leaves have been quilted and I have planned and practiced the motif for the blossoms building muscle memory for free-motion quilting. 

I had hoped to have many dogwood blossoms quilted other things have taken priority so not a one has been quilted. 

I did help out with Vacation Bible School for 2 mornings.  I helped hostess Day Bee for my guild, Greater Columbia Quilters.  They gave me some input on another UFO I pulled out.  
I sewed Wednesday for my church group. 

 I have been busy, mostly with non-quilting efforts.  My blueberries are getting ripe and so far I have picked a pint.  There will be lots more. 

Next week I also don’t expect to post any progress since I will be with my granddaughters.  Mattie says she wants to start a quilt.  I hope to chat with her to find out what to plan; maybe a rail fence quilt.  


Hope you find some time to play with scraps.