Friday, August 14, 2015

Progress Quilting and Piecing Stack and Shuffle

       I made a lot of progress quilting on the zigzag quilt.  Instead of simply meandering the whole quilt, I wanted to use it to practice on more custom designs.  I stitched-in-the-ditch along each zigzag using a walking foot.  It was not easy manipulating the large quilt but now that part is done. Next I will do free-motion quilting on the zigzags.

     When I needed a break from the quilting, I worked on the Stack and Shuffle quilt.  All the fabrics came from our church stash. This technique would be good for a beginner because a quarter-inch seam or even a consistent seam is not  important. 


As you can see from the next photo, I have plenty of room to trim and square up to the needed size.

One technique that a beginner would need to practice is offsetting the pieces so as to end up with a straight edge toward the center of the unit so as to have a straight edge for an intersecting seam or loosing the least on the edge when trimmed.

 I found it relaxing to piece these blocks. They will be squared up to the correct size later.



No comments:

Post a Comment