Saturday, August 30, 2014

Two Finishes

    Last night I started hand sewing the binding on to the Christian wall-hanging.  This morning I finished the binding and added a label.  I am pleased with it and hope the receiver will. 


     This afternoon I sandwiched another small comfort quilt but instead of quilting it, I made a quick casserole carrier.  I saw a great tutorial by Crafty Gemini.  She also has a great video tutorial on YouTube.  You can find the directions and the link from her blog..
 Instead of using 2 plain pieces of fabric I decided to piece one for the outside.  I used 25 -5” squares.  I trimmed ¼” all around after piecing to get the 22” square needed.  I quilted the top to  Insul~Bright heat resistant batting  and the inside fabric to cotton batting (23” square).  I quilted with the serpentine stitch and the walking foot. 
After quilting, I trimmed and sewed the 2 quilted pieced right side together leaving an opening for turning. I also top stitched all around the edge. Here the strips are stitched and ready to sew on.  1 long 5” by 22” and 2 short 4 ½” by 7”  


I ironed interfacing to the inside of the straps to give extra strength.

I hope this will make a good item for the GCQ guild silent auction in September.  I may make some for Christmas gifts.

I will be home for Labor Day and quilting on 2 comfort quilts.   Enjoy your holiday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment