Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reflecting on 2013 – Preparing for 2014

         As the new year starts, I took a little time today to reflect on my quilting projects in 2013.  I had a list of projects to be done and a list of UFOs that needed finishing.  I can’t say I did a great job with my lists.  ( You can check my 2013 Finish Page to see.)   I started and finished more projects ( samples for JoAnn Fabrics classes) that were NOT on my list than ones ON the list.  I ended the year with 5 quilt tops waiting to be quilted and 4 of those were on the list ALL year.  In November the Greater Columbia Quilters started a year long UFO Challenge and because of it, I did finish 4 UFOs.

For 2013     I did finish:              1 full size quilt  ( pieced with sister)
                                                1 twin size quilt
                                                2 wall-hangings
                                                5 large adult lap quilts
                                                8 small lap quilts
     total         17 quilts  plus 1 child’s quilt top  ( 9 were charity/comfort quilts)  

Through out the year I also made several quilted potholders, doll quilts, placemats, and mug rugs.

       As 2013 was winding down, I pulled out another UFO to tackle for the beginning of 2014.  I had 2 1/2 blocks made in Dianne S. Hire’s “Come Play with Me” workshop in 2006.  I also found an orphan block from a guild monthly challenge where I used several of the same fabrics. 
 
     When I pulled out the fabric scraps and pieces from the workshop, they included some pieced scraps from a Joe Cunningham workshop on improvisational piecing.  I don’t throw much away.


I spent part several hours of New Years Eve sorting and doing more improvisational piecing.  When I stopped for supper, I had 9 blocks and 3 more started.   After piecing the log cabin block (row 2 – 2 ), it needed something so I sliced and inserted a couple of strips similar to Dianne’s workshop blocks.  As the sun is setting on this first day of 2014, 12 blocks are made and only a few scraps remain in the pile.  

 I think these will make a great quilt with sashing ( to calm them down) and border so my 2014 quilting is off to a great start.  I will try to make this a year of FINISHES. 

    Happy New Year and Happy Quilting!


No comments:

Post a Comment