Monday, January 13, 2014

Hexagon Floral Placemat

       The past few days the only quilting I have done was on a hexagon floral placemat that is a JoAnn Fabrics class sample.  I am scheduled to teach the class in April but I wanted to get the sample done.
It is a good project for a beginner because they learn to English paper piece a hexagon flower, applique it either by machine or by hand, machine quilt and bind. That is a lot.

    I also spent one afternoon cutting scraps.  If they were less than 12 1/2" long, I cut them into usable units such as rectangles 2 1/2" by 4 1/2" or 2 1/2" by 6 1/2" or squares 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 4 1/2", and 5" to add to my collection.  Some small pieces went into a crumb pile. I still have many more scraps to be cut up.
    I added a border and have the scrappy orphan top ready to sandwich and quilt.  Along the way I will piece more on my Celtic Solstice mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment