Friday, January 31, 2014

Finished Up a UFO

     I have finished another UFO.  

 It started when I found 2 ½ blocks that were made in Dianne S. Hire’s “Come Play with Me” workshop in 2006 and an orphan block from a guild monthly challenge where I used several of the same fabrics.  After piecing a few more blocks like Dianne’s directions and a few improvisational blocks, the top came together.  

For the quilting, I used a variegated purple thread and FMQ Leah’s sharp stippling   as an overall design on most of the quilt.  This was my first time using it and I like it although I did not use as many curves as Leah.  I did practice on paper a few minutes before the actual quilting.

In the border I used FMQ spirals.  I do mark off division guides so they will be about the same size.

I have linked up with Leah's FMQ Project Link Up.  Check out what others are doing. 


  1. Oh, finishing up a UFO! You should be more than proud of yourself here. Your e explanations of the threads really helped me as I am just joining the Block Project and in the process of buying my materials. It is also great to see Leah's techniques used on other quilts...

  2. The fabrics used in this quilt and the way you arranged them are outstanding. The black really works so well. Great job. The stippling pattern for the quilting looks really good. I like this type of subtle quilting. It is definitely there but enhances without taking away from the beautiful piecing work.

  3. Hello Elizabeth,

    This is a really striking quilt - I love your use of colour, and using different colours for the binding is a nice finishing touch.

    Love from England,