I decided to add alternate trapunto blocks to the scrappy 16 patch blocks. I used a blue marking pen and light box to trace the chosen design onto the fabric blocks. Then I added high loft poly batting and water soluble thread to stitch on the lines.
Next, I carefully trimmed away the excess batting. I laid out the blocks in an on-point design and sewed the rows together. When I started the construction, I realized the problem I had created for myself. By marking with the blue pen and using polyester batting, I had to be very careful in pressing the seams because if heated, the blue marks would become permanent and the polyester batting would melt. The center panel is constructed and I hope I have avoided the problem.
I am excited to work on this quilt. I have been wanting to add trapunto blocks on a quilt for sometime.