Monday, May 21, 2012

Working on Appliqué Leaves

   The week has flown by and not much quilting was done.  I did find time to shorten the length and hem of 4 knit shirts – one for Mom and 3 for me.   I have discovered that using a double needle makes a great hem on knits.  It looks similar to serger flat lock stitch.  There are double rows of straight stitching on the top and a zigzag on the back side.  I also use narrow strips of water-soluble stabilizer under the shirt as I’m stitching.

The center of the floral pinwheel quilt is together.

 It went together without any problems, just lots of careful pressing.  Notice all the little pinwheels on the back at seam junctions. 

Today I started cutting and preparing leaves for the appliqué inner border.  I plan on using 4 fabrics for the leaves and a different fabric for the vine.   I cut out about 60 today but I’m not sure how many I will need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment