In 2012 I made a twin size Lego quilt for our VA’s new Hospice Unit. (You can see it here.) I recently decided to make a smaller Lego comfort top for my church quilt group. I raided our stash of 2 ½” squares, bars and strips with an analogous color theme ( same as the first). I wish I had done a little more planning for ease.
I started by piecing rows that would measure 12 ½”. I arranged the rows so that very few seams would match.
I pieced 20 blocks that should have measured 12 ½” unfinished and usually I don’t have a problem with my seam allowance; however, this time I did. I know the stash of pieces were cut by many different people and they were not all equally accurate. I ended up having to square blocks to 12 ¼”. The first time I used this pattern, I joined blocks with sashing of similar colors. This time I joined the blocks without sashing. Because I trimmed blocks, some seams don’t match. I hope the recipient will not care about unmatched seams. Right now the top measures 49.5” by 59”. I may add a border so it will finish a little larger.
Here is the final picture of the chopped fans quilt. I turned it in at church quilt group today.
Enjoy some time sewing and quilting!