Saturday, August 22, 2015

Second Sewing Space and Trimming Blocks

   

        I have set up a “home away from home” close to granddaughters and family; and it is finally feeling more like home.  I moved my trusty 45 year old Kenmore for sewing time. 



Two afternoons after school Mattie and I spent time sewing.  I helped her start piecing quilt blocks and she assisted me by choosing which fabric pieces to sew next and finger-pressing seams.









      I put together a wonderful craft table given by a friend.  It was a full day process but well worth it.  I use one like it at home to sandwich quilts.  In this photo it is only half open.
It is a perfect height for cutting so I made time to trim blocks from the stack, slice and switch pattern I am working on.
     The small blocks get trimmed to 6 ½” but there is lots of room.

I trimmed so that I have the largest possible scraps which I saved.  If I do this pattern again, I think I would slice the pieces with the larger sections toward the outer edges instead of the middle; or I could start with smaller fabric squares to begin.  I do love the way they look and can’t wait to get the top together.

No comments:

Post a Comment