Saturday, August 8, 2015

Improvisational Work

     Since I finished the fan quilt, I have been thinking about what big UFO to tackle next.  In the meantime I pulled out an improvisational Lemoyne star piece started from bandanas that were seconds.  I enjoy not following a pattern but today I had to work through a very challenging part of adding the triangle portions to the large star.  I had seen an episode of Sewing with Nancy where she showed some hints but building the triangle corners was more difficult than she led me to believe.  Especially without any directions to follow. This is what is together tonight. 


I have been trying to use my stash but now I need to shop for more dark blue.  Maybe one with a little red in it.  I have not decided how much more to add.  It is about 48” square right now.

     Yesterday I received my copy of The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters by Sherri Lynn Wood and I look forward to trying out some of the scores ( lesson recipes).

     Today was open house at my local JoAnn Fabric store where I teach some quilting classes.  I worked on a one block sample for an upcoming beginner class.


      I have made 2 baby doll outfits for my younger granddaughter. She loves her baby dolls.
      


     The coming week will be busy with Day Bee and church quilt group, but I have decided which UFO I will finish next.  I put the backing through the wash so it is ready to piece.

Have fun sewing.

1 comment:

  1. Your improvisational quilt is amazing! I admit I'm not very good at that, but I did add corners to a smaller quilt and found it quite challenging as well. Love the doll clothes too. I enjoy making them for my 6 year old granddaughter's dolls . Check out my blog for a give-away.

    ReplyDelete