Monday, July 20, 2015

Making Progress on Quilting

      This morning I finished the free-motion quilting on the fans.  When planning a motif, I use a clear acrylic sheet and dry erase marker to try options and practice.
Quilting the first couple of fans I had an issue with fabric not stabilized well enough.  I had to be careful to position my hands to keep the fabric taught.

I enjoy using motifs that are free flowing and don’t require back tracking. 

     I plan to quilt feathers in the areas between fans and here is my practice. 

*Update*   The feathers are quilted and I'm pleased.  

The feathers are free-form except for the stem which I mark. 
I'm ready for a break and then I need to consider the border quilting.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Another UFO Tackled Plus Doll Items

      I enjoyed the weekend with family for the younger granddaughter’s birthday.  She was pleased with her purple dresses. 

     The older granddaughter had spent a week at art camp and learned to finger knit.  It reminded me of the Barbie knitting kit I have had for several years.  I use to enjoy making clothes for Barbie dolls and clones.  I promised my granddaughter that I would spend some time knitting for her dolls.  I pulled out the kit and made 2 dresses.

      Lily was very excited to receive a purple sleeping bag for her birthday.

A friend recently shared another doll pattern and I had scraps so I made 2 sleeping bags.     

      As I was about to finish the dogwood quilt, I pulled out another UFO to work on. My fan quilt started in a workshop with Charlotte Angotti a few years ago.  I just needed to add some borders.  I had some fabric that I wanted to use for a wide outer border.  When I counted the repeats and decided how much I needed, I did not have enough.  I had bought the fabric at JoAnn’s Fabrics.  I looked online and was surprised that I could find out how much of that particular fabric my local store had.  I went there and bought another piece.  When I cut the strips, I was surprised to discover the difference in the width of the fabric. It worked fine. 

The borders are on, the backing is pieced so next is sandwiching and quilting. 

   Granddaughter Lily will love this quilt because of all the purple. 

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Dogwood Addition

    I am still hand stitching the binding down on the back, but I thought I would add this update about the quilting.  I stitched flower centers with what is called "pebbling".  Here are a couple of close ups of flower centers.

Now back to stitching the last side. 

Monday, July 6, 2015

Very Close to Finished

I have finished all the quilting on the Dogwood quilt and I am glad.  All that it needs is binding and a label.  
This quilt was a UFO for a couple of years.  It started in a workshop with Annette Ornales.  Her technique creates the illusion of curved seams with the bias folded back and stitched down.  I adapted her "Carolina Dogwoods" pattern to be queen size and use the floral fabric that I love.  You can see her patterns at Southwind Designs.
Here is a close-up of the front background quilting.  I did meandering leaves and loops.

Here is a close-up of the back quilting.

For a break from quilting I pulled out a UFO that just needs borders.  I added a couple.  I will take a photo after the final border is added. 

I took a break from quilting to make a couple of purple dresses for my youngest granddaughter’s birthday.  Her favorite color is purple.