Thursday, March 14, 2013

Leader / Ender Pieces Become Coins


    To help deal with mounds of fabric scraps, I started cutting them into sizes that I planned to use as leaders and enders.  (  I love them in place of a scrap for a thread catcher.)   I cut a lot of 2 ½” squares and 2 ½” by 4 ½” bricks.  I had a pile of bricks sewn in pairs.  Some were sewn on my grandmother’s 1906 treadle machine when Quilt Mavens Bee met at my home last month.  I pulled out some leftover strips of unusual striped novelty print fabric and used the bricks as coin strips.   This is what I have sewn together. 


It measures 39” by 43”.  With an outside border added, it will be large enough to be useful for someone who likes golf.  I still have plenty of brick pieces for another project. 
  
     I also went looking in my stash for a different background fabric for the heart blocks.  While looking, I found a great fabric for the border and that led to the new background fabric and sashing fabric.  I decided not to use a couple of pale pinks. Here are my selections. 

 I like this plan much better.  The little blue flowers in the border fabric are perfect with the blue for sashing.
 Here are 2 new sample heart blocks.

1 comment: