Sunday, November 6, 2011

Favorites from Houston Quilt Show


       At the Houston International Quilt Festival, besides the competition quilts, there were many special quilt exhibits most of which we were not allowed to take photos.  Of the competition quilts I spent more time looking at the more traditional quilts and usually my favorites were not the judges favorites.      
      In the Traditional Appliqué category I especially enjoyed 2, which also happened to be the type of class I took. 
The 2nd place winner in that group was “Euphoria” by Deborah Kemball.  She happened to be standing by her quilt when I went by.  She was answering questions and telling about her quilt and process.  She also had fliers for her pattern book.

In the same group was “Mi Amor”, another Balitmore album quilt.  Here are a couple of close up photos.



   There were many special exhibits and I don’t have a record from which of those this next quilt came.  I think it attracted my attention because of the crumb piecing technique.   The quilt is “Green Tea” by Helena Scheffer from Quebec, Canada.  I paid special attention to the quilting.  Notice the quilted outline of a large tea leaf. 

     The show was dominated by art quilts heavily machine quilted and/or with a lot of crystals added.   The top winners fit mostly that description.  They were not my favorites.   

1 comment:

  1. sounds like ya'll had a good time. hope you came home inspired. I know I did last year. thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete