Thursday, July 14, 2011

Organizing Fabric and Scraps


             Wednesday morning was sew day for my church group.  After searching in our fabric bins for border and backing pieces, we decided to reorganize our stash of fabric.  Most of it has been donated and is in all shapes and sizes.  I sorted the bin of “large pieces” to be only pieces of over a yard.  In the bin of “WOF” pieces I put only selvedge to selvedge pieces of less than one yard.  The biggest job was the bin of “Fat Quarters”.  I found many that had a small section cut off so were really no longer a fat quarter and probably not usable for patterns calling for a fat quarter.  Another lady and I decided that we could more easily use 2 ½” strips so as she started cutting strips, I sorted and pulled out all the odd size scraps.  I brought many of the odd scraps home and spent a couple of hours before and after helping a friend move cutting them into 2 ½” strips, strings ( long pieces of odd widths ) and crumbs ( small scraps larger than 1”  but less than 6” long ). 

I am an advocate of using crumbs and we have finished 2 small crumb quilts and have enough crumb blocks for 2 more.  We plan to use our crumb stash on the next sew day to piece crumb blocks.  After sorting and cutting strips, we will have a larger stash of crumbs to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment