Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Frustrating Block Mastered

      Last summer on the Carolina Shop Hop I bought kits for a few of the blocks I really liked.  Yesterday I finally tackled the Delectable Mountain block kit.  I was disappointed with the instructions ( some unusual seams ) and unhappy with my finished block because it was too large and I did not want to trim off my points.  Last night I started taking the block apart.  I drew the block in EQ to find out the correct size for components.  Today I did some more unsewing and approached the block from a different direction. 

The original directions said to construct the mountain units first.  This time I started from the middle and built out, sewing the border of half-square triangles on last.  It worked much better and the finished block is the correct size.  Now I could even make more with a lot less trouble.  
      I found out this afternoon that I need to get started on blocks for a quilt I’m helping Irene with.  They are fairly simple and finish at 9”.  We’re using batiks and making a positive and a reverse of each set of colors.  So far I have made 3 sets.  Since she already has 64 blocks, it should not take long to have enough for a full size bed quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment